Friday, March 29, 2013

I Will Sing Of God's Goodness

I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing. I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes...

Psalm 101:1-3a

What are the words that come from your lips when in dialogue or discussion about the Lord…? What do you utter from your mouth when you experience His favor or when you go through a rough situation…? Often times we are able to offer up praises to the Lord when things go well, but we indeed change our tune and begin to question Him when things don’t go as planned… These verses taken from the one hundred and first psalm echo the dedication that we must have to the Lord… We all know the story of David and the mistakes that he made, in this psalm we see the expression of David’s love… In the midst of trials and tribulations, let us recognize the beauty of God’s discipline and not think He is distant… Let us recognize that even in the mistakes we make in life God can turn a negative into a positive and help us to learn and mature in Christ… David declares to the Lord today that he will sing of His mercy and judgment… As we look throughout our lives we have a lot to praise God for… Often times we harp on the disappointments in life, but neglect the bountiful blessings that have already been bestowed! David remembers the provisions that God has/had already made in his life; delivering him from the hands of enemies, anointing Him to be king and forgiving him of all his missteps… Today let us remember the mercy (withholding) of punishment that God has shown to us! The fact that we should have been dead and suffered the penalty of sin, the fact that we (by one man’s sin) have fallen short of the Glory of God and the fact that we have turned our back on the Lord time and time again! Truth be told, we should all have perished by now, but because of God’s mercy, we have been given a chance to turn unto Him and have all sins forgiven, we indeed do have a lot to praise God for! David praises God not only for His mercy, but also His judgment, a judgment is a verdict, conclusion, finding, decision or result… David is praising God because He (just like the Israelites and us) suffered consequences of our actions, but even then were lifted up by the hand of God and planted on solid ground… Many times the Israelites were in bondage, but God still delivered them and blessed them through their trials and tribulations, the same can be said about you… We need to praise God because His verdict wasn’t eternal damnation, we need to praise God because His conclusion was to send His only begotten son, we need to praise God because His decision was that we should not perish but have everlasting life… This is why David doesn’t stop at singing about His mercy and judgment; David goes on to say not only will I praise you, but “I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way… I will walk within my house with a perfect heart…” David has found his true love and he doesn’t want to mess things up! He knows the source of his strength and existence… He has found the true “Soul mate…” Think about the times when you have dated or married and you were in love with that “amazing person,” because of your devotion to that special someone you desired to walk your best and be perfect… You didn’t want that individual to find in fault within you and you sought to please them through your living! David desires to walk blamelessly before the Lord, we should desire to give God our very best and not mess this “sweet thing” up that He has graciously given to us… Jesus is that “special someone,” He is that “amazing person” and we need to model our lives accordingly… We celebrate “Good Friday” because of the good deeds which Christ bestowed on mankind by going to the Cross… I don’t know about you, but because of my love for Christ I will “set no wicked thing before mine eyes…” Because of my love for Christ I will continue to ask the question “O when wilt thou come unto me?” Because of my love for Christ I will praise Him all the days of my life; I will walk with a perfect heart and desire to serve Him unconditionally… Do you love him? If so, praise Him through the ups and downs and let your love be manifest in your life by the actions that you display everyday!

BE BLESSED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment