Monday, October 16, 2023

Honor Your Parents

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Exodus 20:12

As you journey through this life; know that the choices you make not only impace you, but also the people who joined together in your blessed creation… Your focus in life should be pleasing God and today we are reminded of a commandment given by God to Moses which deals directly with how we are to not only treat but also represent our parents… Understand today that there is always someone who is watching you, taking notice of every move that you make and every action you engage in; the message today is that you must make choices that will not only better you, but make choices that will place you and the family which you are a part of in a good light… In bringing honor to our parents I am reminded of the 3rd chapter in the gospel of Matthew which speaks of Jesus being baptized, it is in that chapter that you will find these words recorded; As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” God says that He is pleased with His son; this is one of the best honors we can obtain... To be pleasing to the Lord our Father, we must represent him in every aspect of our life. This is demonstrated or carried out by what we say and do and part of that is how we honor our earthly parents. This is not to say that you must adhere to everything that your parents say and do (they are human as well); however, this means that regardless of what you have experienced or seen (good and bad) from or through your parents, you must recognize that God provided the seed which is you through them. So there should always be a special place in your heart for your parents and you should honor them by walking in the pathway which Christ has called you to and laid before you. Growing up, my earthly father would always tell us "Remember who you are and whose you are..." This has stuck with me as I go about my day-to-day activities. I am a child of God and I am a Satterfield. I carry both of those labels in high esteem and want my life to match how much both of those things mean to me!!! Jesus said in John 6:38, "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me." Jesus sought to honor his father here on earth even if it meant bearing the weight of sin which he never knew... It's time that we do likewise for our heavenly father and biological parents...

ALL FOR HIS GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment